Monday, July 31, 2023

Pounding Grains in Timbuktu

 


I was just sitting in my garden, when a drizzle started, and I suddenly remembered a scene in Timbuktu, which still is very vivid, though I visited Mali 16 years ago.

Timbuktu is about 20 km north of the Niger river and is one of the travel destinations, which is easily linked with romantic ideas. But already in 2007 we were advised not to venture further out into the desert and in 2008 tourists were kidnapped and one murdered. at the time Timbuktu say about 6000 tourists per year. Now there is pobably no tourism in Timbuktu anymore [1].

I was happy to visit this town and strolling, going to the bank to chance money – took very long but has been most interesting. On the streets I watched awoman, guarding kids and pounding grains. I don't konw whether she pounded millet, corn or any other grain. She rhythmically lifted the pestle and deftly let it land on the grain in the mortar. I was impressed as the day had been hot. And all the time she kept an eye on the kids.

 



Links ans Annotations:
[1] How to go to Timbuktu -: "Disclaimer: It is currently very unsafe to go to Timbuktu."
https://www.youngpioneertours.com/how-to-go-to-timbuktu/  
or
"WARNING: Because of ongoing terrorist attacks in Northern Mali, many governments advise against all travel to the region. More information is available in the warning at the top of the Mali page. (Information last updated 03 Sep 2020)"
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Timbuktu

.

No comments:

Post a Comment