Sunday, October 13, 2019

Recalling a Trip through Tajikistan



A French woman cycling on the Pamir Highway - 
she was using German tyres (I've asked her 
because of the rough gravel road)


Yesterday I started writing about Ladakh, but now I want to write on Tajikistan again. On this trip to Ladakh I had been in a group together with a Suisse couple, who had been in Tajikistan, too. In fact they’ve done the trip with the same organization as me, only earlier. There had been some safety issues I didn’t encounter. He had been surrounded by fierce frontier soldiers waving guns at him. In 2016 I thought the frontier being safe, but this may have been a wrong interpretation of silence. After my trip four cyclists had been killed [1] and the tourist organization in Germany thought not continuing trips to Tajikistan being the wiser option.

Late in 2016 I’ve written: “It isn't a risk or adventure concerning security.” [2] Maybe I would write otherwise now. The region, where the killings occurred, were part of our itinerary.
The culminating point has been the Pamir Highway [3].
Here I’ve written something on how a vegetarian fares in Tajikistan [4].
Also I’ve written about the teapots on graves at the border to Afghanistan [5]. 
So expect more in the days to come.



Links:

.

No comments:

Post a Comment