Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Sankaku Uta or Triangle Poem - An Introduction and Poems


Recently I had an idea for a form of poems. As haiku is one of the short forms of poems I cherish, I wanted a Japanese name for this kind of poem. I discarded kawa no uta (川の詩), which means river poem as the form is like a river emanating from a spring and flowing via a delta into the sea. I prefer sankaku uta (三角詩) or triangle poem. If you look at the characters, you can see that river or kawa () is composed of three vertical strokes, whereas three or san () is composed of three horizontal lines. However, this form of poem is composed of four lines.

The first line should have one, the second three, the third five, and the last line seven syllables. The syllables are less important than the length of the lines, so there's some lee room; „I“ is much shorter than „through“. The lines should be center aligned.


Sun
Moving on
Thru the autumn sky
As birch leaves trundle down

Cat
Hunting mice
The tranquil garden
Becomes a fierce battlefield

Not
Ready yet
To go back again
And greet my home and land

Moon
Shy hiding
Behind moving clouds
Pain and darkness moving on

Soon
Spring will turn
From flowers to fruits
Young birds are learning to fly

Smooth
Black Velvet
The night has fallen
Trees rest in tranquillity





.

No comments:

Post a Comment