Friday, September 10, 2021

Travel for the Young at Heart in Sri Lanka – Reminiscing John B. Paiva

 



Recently I thought a lot about Sri Lanka as well as I've remembered meeting with John B. Paiva, more than 40 years ago, but I recall the occasional meeting quite vividly. I've just found a picture, which I've made on that occasion. I thought that the photograph was lost. And then I looked further and even found his broschure „Travel for the Young at Heart“.

Sri Lanka then had about 14 million inhabitants in an area of about 65,000 sqkm (slightly smaller than Bavaria or slightly larger than West Virginia). I thought it strange that other travellers knew John B. Paiva, even considering the fact that he was running what is now called a back packers hostel.



The broschure „Travel for the Young at Heart“ gives information, has lots of warnings and of course it has advertisements. I hope that his hostel „Travellers' Halt“ at Jaffna Junction in Anuradhapura thrived. I have looked on the internet, but could not find it anymore.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment