Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Haibun Cranes


Today two things merged to make me write a haiku. The prompt for tomorrows haiku on National Writing Haiku Month is NOVEMVER [1] and for the first time this year I saw a flock of cranes flying north [2].

Suddenly I realized that in my thought I was still in last year's november, despite having had sunshine, Christmas, New Year, reunions, and a lot of snow. The last days were much like november with the weather being cold and wet. I even thought daylight is longer now – like during november. And then the cranes were coming back. They're much like we humans – they take a break and spend the drab days in northern Africa (like Europeans might do) or the Carribean (like northern Americans might do).

I was sitting outside on the veranda with a coffee, when I heard the cranes as they usually fly across my garden or at least close by. So I had the time to get my camera. You might wander, why I had my coffee outside. The day was overcast but dry, moreover 5° C (41° F) is warm enough.

Oh, the haiku, I shouldn't forget the haiku:

november
cranes flying south
now north again


If you're living somewhere near to a route of migrating bird, don't miss them flying by in whatever direction the season dictates. Spend more time outdoors!




Links and Annotations:
[1] https://www.facebook.com/NaHaiWriMo
[2] I had heart crnaes earlier this year, but it had been to dark to see them. And I had seen cranes on my way to Hamburg about two weeks ago, but they were flying east to west as they were spending the winter in north Germany.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment