Thursday, July 12, 2012

Abbreviations of DMARDs in Rheumatology


We all use abbreviations for drugs that are in use in rheumatology. We should use equal abbreviations to be understood. I have a list, which still isn’t 100%, but please tell me about abbreviations that I should include.

ABA = Abatacept
ADA = Adalimumab
AZA = Azathioprine
CQ = Chloroquine
CSA = Cyclosporine A also CyA
CTX = Cyclophophamide
CZP = Certolizumab
DPA = d-Penicillamin
ETN = Etanercept
GOL = Golimumab
HCQ = Hydroxychloroquine
INF = Infliximab also IFX
MMF = Mycophenolate mofetil
MTX = Methotrexate
LEF = Leflunomide
RTX = Rituximab
SSZ = Sulfasalazine
SZP = Salazopyrin
TAC = Tacrolimus
TOC = Tocilizumab
UST = Ustekinumab

Parenteral gold - sodium aurothiomalate is inconclusive as there are at least six abbreviations like: SAT, ATM, GST - all abbreviations that have other meanings in everyday life. As gold isn't that important nowadays ...

To my great surprise the "Zeitschrift für Rheumatologie", the official German journal on rheumatology, uses different abbreviations for some biologics/DMARDs:

ABC = Abatacept

ADM = Adalimumab
CiA = Ciclosporin A (oh, the CIA)
CEZ = Certolizumab
ETC = Etanercept
GOM = Golimumab
INX = Infliximab (looks like INXS to me)
RIX = Rituximab
SSZ = Sulfasalazine
TOZ = Tocilizumab

I think that it's an absurd idea that different countries use different abbreviations. I'll ask K. Krüger for the reasons next time I'll meet him.

19.10.2012




No comments:

Post a Comment