Friday, November 4, 2016

An unusual Funeral




You might have noticed that I fancy a morbid interest in burial rites and cemeteries. Yesterday I visited my parents and my mother told a story of one of her dearest friends.


The sister in law of my mother’s friend had passed away, not unexpectedly. But she had arranged for her funeral. She didn’t belong to any congregation anymore. So there had been a funeral orator, which isn’t the unusual thing I want to talk about. She asked all of her friends and relatives to appear at the graveyard in the clothes they would wear at her birthday party, which all did to honor the deceased. And when the coffin was lowered into the grave, they all blew soap bubbles as required by her. 

You might call it a strange funeral, but I just call it different. The participants will surely recall the day better and remember the deceased easier than had it been a usual funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment