Friday, January 26, 2018

Tenerife and other coincidences




In a conversation on December 30, 2012, my sister-in-law mentioned Tenerife out of the blue: "It's strange; nobody is going to Tenerife anymore". I was reading Contempt by Jussi Adler Olsen on that day. Two hours after the conversation, I’ve read that someone was flying to Tenerife. I opened the book In Hazard by Richard Hughes and found on page 125 the word "contempt", yes the word magnetically attracted my attention. My sister-in-law asked me if I had use for a Nokia charger. No, not me, but three pages further on page 266 of Jussi Adler Olsen's Contempt, an old Nokia phone needed to be charged. Yesterday or today I’ve read From Rösrath to Tenerife (report by G. Schwarz in the Eifel part of the Kölner-Stadt-Anzeiger of 32.12.2012 / 01.01.2013, p. 7).

And if someone still claims that there is a city called Bielefeld* or that John F. Kennedy, his brother Robert, and Martin Luther King are not victims of a conspiracy, then he should stay silent.

24.11.2016:
Once I came to Nice and thought that a friend living there had been visiting someone in Spain. I wanted to leave a message and went to the nearest post office to get a piece of paper - there I’ve run into her. She, however, thought I was traveling through England.
Another time I had been briefly in Berlin and took the subway from the airport to the city - there I’ve met my cousin, who went to work.

19.03.2018:
I was driving home from work and listening to a radio station, which sometimes plays older songs like this evening. They played This is not America by David Bowie. I hadn’t heard the song in a long time and have been fully in the mood for it. A Chris Rhea song would have done as well. At home the song still had been active in me. I took Nemesis by Jo Nesbø and resumed reading at page 309. Well, at page 310 I’ve read: “ From the living room up the stairs he could hear David Bowie erroneously insisting ‘This is not America’.”

* “The Bielefeld Conspiracy (German: Bielefeldverschwörung or Bielefeld-Verschwörung) is a satire of conspiracy theories that originated in 1993 in the German Usenet, which claims that the city of Bielefeld, Germany, does not actually exist,[1] but is an illusion propagated by various forces.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld_Conspiracy

.

No comments:

Post a Comment