Friday, June 2, 2017

Trump and the Climate




Are you also shocked by Trump’s decision to pull back from the Paris climate agreement to reduce global warming? President Trump: “I believe in clean air. Immaculate air.... But I don't believe in climate change.” [1] A statement like from an obstinate child: “I believe in TV, our fridge, light in the darkness. … But I don’t believe in electricity.”

Most probably the earth will warm up more quickly with higher carbon dioxide emissions by the USA, which will follow the decision. “Calculations suggest withdrawal could result in emissions of up to 3 billion tons of additional carbon dioxide a year — enough to melt ice sheets faster, raise seas higher and trigger more extreme weather.” [2] Whole nations will vanish under water, not like depicted in Waterworld, but in in some regions it might resemble the movie. The Daily Mail showed maps a couple of years ago [3]. America say good bye to Florida and much of the East Coast.
"Ice storm rolls from Texas to Tennessee - I'm in Los Angeles and it's freezing. Global warming is a total, and very expensive, hoax!" Yes, global warming leads to extreme weather conditions. Global warming will lead to more storms, droughts, inundations, heat waves, blizzards. And the USA is big enough to take a great share of this.

“Trump said ‘I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris’ – but city’s mayor retorts: ‘We stand with the world and will follow the agreement’” [4]. President Trump wants to boost US economics, and the Dow Jones industrial average has risen 135 points for yesterday. But in the long run Trump’s decision on the Paris climate agreement will weaken US economy. Most probably the EU will impose punitive duties.
China’s role in global economics had long been hampered by the Cultural Revolution [文化大革命]. Now the US is committing an equally dumb mistake. Though the Chinese administration hopes officially for the US to come back to senses, they can’t eschew a broad hidden smile, as China’s economy will take the biggest advantage out of Trump’s decision. I have learned Mandarin Chinese out of other reasons, but now I’m happy that I did. You should learn Chinese, too; here’s where to start [5].

What would I do, if I were a US citizen? I’d buy Banana Republic shares and wait for the next elections.


Links:
[3]


.

No comments:

Post a Comment