Saturday, January 2, 2021

Strolling into the Winter Landscape




Today I went for a walk. A clear day with a cloudy sky, hardly any wind, no snowing invited to venture into the open. I left my home and looking back all has been covered with snow. Not much thawing, though the air felt warmer than the days before.




Before reaching the heathland, meadows and beech woods mingle and allow the snow to rest for a while. I, however, moved on, the crusty snow and ice crunching beneath my steps. The wind had pressed snow on one side of trees and later carved it like mushrooms which are called tree ears (木耳) in Chinese. 
 

 

Sweat of fear
Tears of wrath
Covering the beeches

Barking dogs
And yelling owners
Amidst the vast heather

 

 
People with kids could be seen from afar, hauling toboggans and building igloos, … sort of. They should wait for more snow and wind to cut blocks out ot snow drifts.




And the icicles hanging from a shed, where the cattle rested and their warmth melted the snow. Now they were grasing. They preferred to feed on the grass below the snow than munching hay.


Thawing Snow
Then frost again
Weeping icicles

Carved into icicles
Intimate wishes
Melting into oblivion




Icicles growing
While cows ruminate
And I move on
 
 


I looked into the world through a mirror of cold water, clear and dark. This world is unbelievingly beautiful, even in a dark mirror.

Coming back
Nobody greets me
But the house

.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment